The Institute of the North can only be successful through the participation of those who volunteer their time and expertise to inspire and engage leaders from all across our state. Your contribution – in time, energy and financial resources – builds a strong foundation from which the Institute can address its mission. You have an impact that results in:
- Citizen engagement - 2012 Conference of Young Alaskans delegates represented 28 communities from across the state. In the words of one delegate, "the conference empowered me to play a more active role in my state at the local and state level. I now plan on looking at all of Alaska’s diverse issues as they play a role in the well-being of our state."
- Effective advocacy in the Arctic - The Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment (AMSA), a major project of the Arctic Council under the Protection of Marine Environment (PAME) working group led to the Arctic Maritime and Aviation Transportation Infrastructure Initiative (AMATII) which will provide a platform for addressing critical needs in the Arctic’s aviation and maritime environment.
- Responsible resource management - 112 land and resource managers attended the Institute's ANILCA seminar in 2011 and report an increased understanding of this complex piece of federal legislation.
- Civic education - The Institute piloted the We the People of Alaska program to engage young Alaskans in Alaska Studies. After a sucessful pilot in a couple Anchorage high schools last spring, the program resources are now available across the state.
- Leadership development - Over 400 young Alaskans attended emerging leader events hosted by the Institute of the North in the past year.
- Recognition of responsibility - The majority of the 100 civic leaders who attended the Alaska Dialogue accepted personal responsibility to share the results of the Dialogue with colleagues and policy makers. The participants recognized the need to look closely at state-federal relationship so we take fair share of the responsibility for the solutions.
With your help, the Institute will continue to raise awareness around issues important to our state. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Nils Andreassen at email@example.com or 907.786.6324. Please also consider volunteering at Institute events.